Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Development of Web Based SQL Server Manager

Well, this has been an exciting two months. On July 27th, 2009, I signed up with BizSpark under Bob Walsh. I have decided to take the plunge and become a Micro ISV... The BizSpark program seemed like a perfect fit for me and so I went for it. For the longest I have wanted to create web based enterprise applications. I have been very lucky to have worked for some owesome development shops and designed and developed very robust ASP.NET Applications. I have been able to use some of the newest technologies and experiment with new and upcoming technologies. I have worked with a lot of end users in different areas and learned a lot of their pain points. It has been a very satisfing journey. This has given me a lot of desire to build something of my own.

One application I have been wanting to write for quite some time is a web based Enterprise Manager. I found that Microsoft had written an ASP.NET Enterprise Manager application back in 2004. I downloaded and installed it and found it was quite interesting and was programmed to use Distributed Management Objects (DMO). SQL Server Management Objects (SMO) is the new technology being used now, but Microsoft hasn't developed anything for this which made me excited. So, I have decided to build a web based interface using SMO and I will upload screenshots here and describe my journey. I have decided to use ExtJS for the interface and ASP.NET for the framework. I think this is a perfect union of technologies that will provide a very nice interface with a robust infrastructure. When I get close to completion, I will be providing some Alph and Beta versions for everyone to try out. My test so far with SMO are very impressive and I must say, Microsoft has done a great job with API design.


Well, back to coding I go...

No comments: